Saturday, June 18, 2011

Omaha by sunrise

So I made a promise to my friend that attends the University of Nebraska that if A&M made it to the College World Series in Omaha that I would make my way to the breezy Midwest to follow my Ags and visit.  Now I'm merely hours away from stepping onto a plane in Austin shipping north and stepping off in the promise land and I'm as excited as a dog getting offered a steak fresh off the grill. This is a once in a lifetime ordeal that's really come up on me quick.  At the beginning of the weak I was nervously watching A&M who got beat worse than if Carrottop was the hated step child by a Florida St ferocious line up. That Sunday the Seminoles stomped a 23 run deep mudhole right through the Ags and taking a shot we were placing all our cards on the new "ace" of the team.
It worked out in our favor due to our streaking hitting and an outstanding performance by our now star pitcher.  Anyways back to the time at hand, the Ags are back in Omaha for just the sixth time in the schools history and I'm going, how sick is that.  Just as awesome is the perfect timing for myself because they just opened beautiful TD Ameritrade ball park in downtown Omaha.  Moving away from nostalgic Rosenblatt Stadium, which hosted the World Series for decades before.  The photo to the right is somewhat the directions of my seats, which are row 15 of a section in that general area, so I'll be watching the greatest game ever slobbering over a frank (but dreaming about an Omaha Steak), and enjoying the times with a friend that has been looking forward to company coming to Nebraska as much as a bride that's getting married the next day.  OK maybe that was a little over exaggerate, but he's pretty psyched, plus he's getting a free bad ass ticket to watch a team that his dad graduated from.  I went up in the fall to a football game at historic Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, which was an epic trip in its own respect.

I've been on the travelling streak as of late and it's only going to get better.  In the fall, using my parents free miles,  I departed from the homeland to the heartland, not once but twice!  Decided at the beginning of the year that I would fly to both Lincoln and Iowa City to see my long off brethren and give them some light from Texas.  So here I go again to the Midwest, only this time is going to be beyond imaginable because by the time my trips done I'll have covered four maybe even five states.  Yes, we're driving back, although I would rather fly, but I was offered a ride home with my future roommate and his girlfriend, so why not spend fourteen hours on the road hoping no one has the farts, or snores when they sleep.  Who knows which state I'll get to drive through, but I'm game for anything and if I end up driving through Kansas, Oklahoma, or Nebraska I'll feel obligated to use the classic "Thought the Rocky's were a little rockier than this" line from the always classically funny Dumb and Dumber. 

Due to the flight time at 7 in the AM, it's going to be an early morning, like 3 AM wake up time to get there in time, so I'll be guzzling 5 Hour Energy Drinks like an alcoholic deprived on fluids for a couple months.  Postings to come up after I get back.  Enjoy Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment